Screen Social : W=M | Gender Equality in Film
On Wednesday 12th August we’re hosting another charity Screen Social: W=M at the East London venue The Book Club. We’re dedicating the evening to examining gender equality with a mixture of film, live discussion, music and drinks. In collaboration with gender equality organisations, there’ll be a whole host of curated and submitted content by talented new filmmakers, and a short panel discussion addressing issues in the balance. On the panel:
- Writer, educator and activist Sophie Mayer.
- Gabriella Apicella and Gemma Mitchell, founders of Underwire Festival
- Elaine Sheldon and Sarah Ginsburg, creators of SheDoesPodcast, who’ll be having their say via skype from the US.
- Isabelle Sieb – award-winning film director who started her career making documentaries for clients like National Geographic and FIFA
- Romanian filmaker, Adina Istrate, will be joining the discussion and screening her work.
- Mike Buonaiuto – director and founder of Shape History
It’s a packed schedule with a great lineup of films and a chance to gain perspective from people working in the industry as well as sharing your views.
Whether it’s activism or advocacy, we’re creating a platform for the conversation to continue in its own Screen Social format. With an issue that affects all of us and more people pushing it to the top of the agenda – let’s talk about it. Get in touch and submit a film, or simply come along, soak up discussion, film, music and join us over a few drinks without breaking your flow. Best of all, the proceeds go to the homelessness charity Shelter, and for every registered £3 entry, we’ll donate an extra £1.
It’s a Wednesday. Be Social.
FEATURED THIS MONTH
Tracks – dir. Claire Oakley
Towards Estate – dir. Andrea Luka Zimmerman
College Romance – The Musical – dir. Isabelle Sieb
Terminally Happy – dir. Adina Istrate
Extn.21 – dir. Lizzie Oxby
The Trip – dir. Prano Baily-Bond
Lucky Woman – dir. Luke Forsythe
Beyond Gender – dir. Daniel Brereton
Cannes in a Van + Swhype present
SCREEN SOCIAL: W=M
Wednesday 12th August
The Book Club, 100 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4RH Nearest Tubes: Old Street, Shoreditch High Street, Liverpool Street Doors open: 7pm – 12pm £4 donation on the door / £3 online
The Book Club also serves food so turn up early and grab a table for the night.